Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I Feel for Judas

     With less then a week until Easter, as a Catholic, we refer to this week as Holy Week. To kick the week off with Palm Sunday. Every year during Palm Sunday Mass, like clockwork, the gospel is the story of Christ's Passion. Within this gospel every year, Judas, the man and Apostle who betrayed Jesus, really gets crapped on in the writings. And every year, I think to myself, "Am I the only one who thinks Judas got screwed?" But upon thinking about this, it raises a bigger question, at least for Christians, specifically Catholics, and that is: Does free will actually exist.
     You see as Catholics, we believe God is all knowing, which includes knowing everything you will do before you do. This was no different then Judas. Think about it though, this means God knew Judas was going to do what he did before he was even born. And if Judas didn't do what he did, then Jesus would have never died for our sins and open the gates of heaven to us. But Judas couldn't change what God already knew. He was destined to do what hid whether he wanted to or not.
     Don't get me wrong. This is a very a hard topic to tackle, and I am hardly the one to tackle. This post is more just me wrestling with the idea in my own mind, but allowing others to see it, so they can help understand. Because I'd really like to believe in free will, and that even though God knows what I'm going to do before I do it, that it was still my decision. It's just, the way they word the gospels, it's really hard not to feel for Judas, and think, "This poor guy never stood a chance."
     If you read this post, feel free to comment about what's your take on free will and/or if you think Judas stood a chance. Just remember, I'm not writing this blog to fight, challenge or offend anyone, so if you do respond, do not get defensive and abrasive with me. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment