I was sitting talking with a friend the other day and they asked me if I still had my blog because it had been so long since I posted. I told them I did, but that I was still working on collecting the various thoughts in my head before I attempted to write on them. Which was the case, but I have also just been so busy and stressed that my blog has unfortunately taken a backseat in my life. But since she brought it up, I felt motivate to get it going again. So I want to talk about something that's been bothering me which may be bothering you to.
I am SCARED of being a failure, specifically in the eyes of my parents, and in the context of being compared to my siblings. I think this fear is common amongst young adults from big families, but certainly not limited to such a characteristic. I come from a family of six. Two parents, three sisters (all older), and then me. Being the baby of a family that is successful at least in the eyes of the social constructed belief of success and my parents who believe this construct, I am scared I won't live up to par. The construct being that you have a job, are financially stable or on your way to being so, and live an upper-middle class lifestyle
All my sisters prime examples of strong independent women who have beaten societal restrictions of their gender and made something of themselves, and I am so proud of them, as our my parents. But I look at all that they have done, and I think, how the hell do I live up to that; no way that I could. And my parents have been and will continue to be so involved in my life, that I fear I might subconsciously think I NEED their approval and/or acceptance for how my life turns out, and if I don't get it, I will feel like I failed. AND I DON'T WANT THAT FEELING!
And I know some of you reading this our thinking, "But Chris, there's more to life and happiness than money." And you are correct. But like I said, with how involve in my life my parents our, there perception of how I turn out is has a big impact on my perception, and unfortunately, I feel like with my father at least, that my "financial success" is one of the required criteria on the rubric.
All this worry and pressure that I feel has lead me to be really stressed. I find the smallest of hiccups in my life to be bigger than they really are and to be the start of a downfall I won't come back from. I know this is crazy and I need to stop beating myself up, but it is hard for me. Anyway, I really wanted to get this out, so that if someone else is feeling this way, they know that they are not alone. So that's all for this blog. Thanks.
No comments:
Post a Comment