Wednesday, February 11, 2015

I DON'T LIKE TO THRIFT!

     So just moments ago, my buddy sent me a FB message with a link in it. The link was to an article about how this person bought a jacket at a thrift store for 58 cents and it turned out to be Vince Lombardi's. Naturally, given the way we put too much monetary emphasis on things belonging to people of "fame", the jacket's estimated "worth" turned out to be $20,000. After seeing this, it reminded me how I saw an article of a similar nature just last week. And then it got me thinking about something I have thought often, especially when talking to some of my closest friends, who like to thrift. The thought: I DON'T LIKE TO THRIFT!
     No, this isn't anything do with some level of pretentiousness or self-righteousness that sees it as undignified. And no, it's not because I can't handle having something that isn't brand new. Having a lot of guy cousins, I still wore plenty of hand me downs in a house of all sisters. The reason is why they exist. Think about it. The intention behind thrift stores was for those who were impoverished to have a chance to be able to buy various needs at a cheaper price due to there being used. WHICH IS GREAT!
     But then it got me thinking? Should I, an upper middle class white kid, really be thrifting? (Again, not saying because I think I'm above it) Certainly, I'm a broke college student who isn't receiving money from mommy and daddy to buy whatever goodies I want, but I know if I was in a bind and needed some essentials similar to that of what you find at a thrift store, my parents would provide. Unfortunately, there someone out there who is legitimately broke. And even worse, they may also be the provider of others. My shopping there for my own cheap thrills just seems wrong. I can't help but think everything I buy, though I may use, is something that someone else needs more and can't get it anywhere else due to cost.
     Now, this is not to say I look down on anyone financially stable that thrifts. You have all the right in the world to do so. I'll be honest, I myself have done it from time to time. It is just I think that as we as a society start to challenge more and more of the various constructs of this nation, we need to keep in mind some of the things that been put in place to help alleviate the problem and ways we might be unintentionally and unconsciously undermining. So if you are a financially stable thrifter, here are some thoughts to keep in mind next time you go:

1. Do I really NEED this, or do I just want it because it's cheap?
     Remember, for somebody it might be a NEED and still not be cheap.
2. Maybe instead of buy a lot of items because of the low cost and just buy few items.
     Don't be a item hog!
3. Remember that you are more fortunate than others, you should give more to thrift stores than you take from them.
     It's okay to get stuff from there, but maybe for every item you get, donate two items you know you'll never use again.

     I hope I didn't offend anyone with this post. I'm not trying to be judgmental or stop you from doing what you have all the right to do. I'm just trying keep everyone conscious of the other angles to something you might have missed. And hey, as I give this message, for all I know there's an angle to this that I have missed. Thanks. And it's good to be back BehindTheBowTie!

No comments:

Post a Comment