So I was having a late night heart-to-heart with a friend of mine recently, and we got on the topic of relationships, or in my case a lack there of, a popular topic of anybody's heart-to-hearts. And as we were discussing my scenario, she said to me, "It sucks bro, because you can't control how you feel." And she's right, you can't, but you can control how you act on these feelings, and that's usually where I can't seem to get shit right. Here's my dilemma.
I have this friend, who I do find attractive, but not until after I got know them did they seem attractive to me. One those examples of how personality can really add to a persons "stock". And so upon pursuing friendship with this person, I had no intention in pursuing this friendship with any ulterior motives, in this case, a relationship. But as time has come about, I realize that I do want one.
Originally, and recently, a friend asked me if I like her, and this as how I explained it to her: "Do I like her? Yes. Would I be interested in a relationship with her, yes. BUT, because I entered this friendship with just the intent to form a friendship, I have this mindset that if something was to become of us, sweet, if not, sweet. Either way I'll be contempt."
This is what I told her, and it was true, or so I thought. But then it happened. I was at a party, where I ended up running into her. While we were both there, I saw her grinding/making out with this guy, and I became so many emotions at once, I didn't know what to think. I was angry, upset, unsurprised, disappointed, refusing, and overwhelmed. I left the party and returned to my dorm where I spent the rest of the evening, first having the heart-to-heart with my friend and then alone with my thoughts. This nigh of discernment led me this: I like this young woman more than I thought, whether I planned on it happening or not (which I did not) and now I have a choice to make, either pursue this newly apparent feelings or repress them and enjoy the friendship I was originally claimed to be content with.
So here's how this is going go: I'm most likely going to remain liking this young woman for a while, and along the way, I'm not going to do anything or say anything about it with her. Why? Because I suffer from a fear of rejection, which has lead me to be anxious whenever like a young woman, now. So I will suppress these feelings until I hopefully sincerely don't have them for her anymore. How long that will take, I do not know. But that's how it is. Just the way I handle these things. It just sucks more than usual this time because I didn't plan on falling for this young woman, and I have.
I can't control how I feel, in this case having these romantic feelings, but I can control how I act on them. And this is the route I'm taking. Is it a route that leaves me less likely to finding someone, since it's the route I go with with most young woman I like, yes. But it's the only way I know how to not get as hurt as I would if I was rejected. I guess to me, it's just the lesser of two evils.
No comments:
Post a Comment