Monday, December 2, 2013

Why I Think I'll have a Child with a Mental Disability

     Growing up, I was raised catholic, as I have stated before, and in my family that meant you attended private Catholic schooling up until college. Then we could decide where to go, WITHIN REASON. One of the things the Catholic church stresses is "WORKS" or as others may call it, Service. Nothing wrong with that; we all need help each other. But, once you got to high school, or at least for the Catholic high schools in my hometown, you have to complete a certain number of service hours each year to graduate. Which is understandable; some people need an extra push to get out there and help others. But I noticed a trend with me and the service I did, sometimes coincidences even, or at least what I thought were coincidences.
     It started the summer before my freshman year of high school. My sister was about to be a junior in high school and was looking to get her junior year service hours out of the way before the school year started. Her friend explained to my sister that her mother was head of  campus ministry at a local Kindergarten through 8th grade catholic school and that each summer they run a "Bible Camp" for kids ages 4 to 9. So she signed up for it. But, she also convinced my mom to have me sign up for it as well. My mom figured it would get my freshman year service hours out of the way too. So I did.
     I was hesitant, but that's because I was only fourteen and not even truly in high school, but I took a deep breath and did my best to step up however I could. That's when John Kelly entered my life. I met John when he was four. Just like any four year old, he was wild, marched to the beat of his own drum, and threw the occasional tempter tantrum. But John was different in one way. He has down syndrome. Now the way the camp was set up, there were three groups. 4 & 5 year olds, 6 & 7 year olds, and 8 & 9 year olds. Each age group was given a certain amount of Counselors to help the Adults working the groups of the camp. So no one was paired with anyone individually. Except for me.
     John, given his condition, required more one on one attention then the rest of the campers, and I can't explain it, but him and I just worked well together. I was able to "talk him down" unlike the rest of the camp, and so I was asked to just keep by his side for the week. And so I did. Him and I have formed a great bond that grew from him and I both doing the camp for five years now. And I couldn't imagine not signing up for the camp that first year I did. I'm so thankful.
     Then there was sophomore year. This is where things got interesting, because sophomores at my school, instead of going on a retreat of some sort, would have a day of service. The day you went depended on your homeroom. My homeroom was selected for a day later in the year, which is irrelevant, but I thought I would explain that. So the way this day of service worked is each sophomore was randomly selected for where they would go to do service for the day. I was selected to go to a local school that helped to teach children with mental disabilities. When we got there, I was hesitant, given my experience with John, and I jumped right in. I was helping the kids with work, eating, and playing. I had a blast, and again I seemed to work really well with the kids and just gel with them really well. It was awesome.
     Junior year however is when coincidence, started to seem less like coincidence. My junior year of high school, I went on a retreat in West Hartford, Connecticut with a group of from my school. On one of the days during the retreat, we went out into the local community for a day of service. Again, where we went was random selection. And again, I was selected to go to a school that works with both children and young adults who have mental disabilities. When we got there, the gentle at the school who helped organized this said he was in need of a, "Special Volunteer". Hesitant, but eager because I felt in my element, I said I would. After I agreed, I learned this special assignment was to be paired with someone individually while the rest of my group worked as a group. It was reminiscent of when I was asked to work with John individually, and so I felt very comfortable. I was paired with a young man, I believe 19 at the time, named Louie. Great guy, who was full of energy and charisma. After spending the day with him, I couldn't help but kind of think that I was really good working with people who have special needs.
     Since my junior year, I have tried to branch out and try different types of service I provide, but mentally, none have been so easy for me and put me at ease the way I felt and still feel about working with those with mental disabilities. But, I'm 19 now, and much more future oriented and can't help but wonder if there's a reason I do well in that situation. I can't help but also wonder if those coincidences were more than coincidences. Part of me believes that God, or some high power, depending on your beliefs, is just preparing me for fatherhood, but specifically fatherhood with a child who has a mental disability. Does the thought scare me? Hell yeah. But not because I wouldn't love the kid, because I will love the kid with my whole heart regardless, but because I know how much work it will be, if this is the case. Regardless, I'll dive right in. It just seems like there's a bigger plan here then me providing service.

No comments:

Post a Comment