So last night I went clubbing for "Thirsty Thursdays" as the kids call it these days. And while there I was just kinda wandering around the club; I've never been good at asking girls to dance, so I tend to just be in that group of people who dance as a unit. This was the case for as well this night. I was having fun just bouncing around and being a goober, when "Let's get it Started" by the Black Eyed Peas came on. This was a song I loved to break it down to back in they day, so naturally I was HYPED! The first got rolling and I was feeling it. But unfortunately things took a severe left turn. Upon reaching the chorus of the song, I realized that the DJ was not playing "Let's get it started" by the Black Eyed Peas, but their original version of the song "Let's get R******d".
Instantly my energy was drained and I was filled with some discomfort. There was a few reasons for this. The main one: I don't like that word at least when used in the connotation it was being used in here. The other reasons are more like sub-reasons to go along with that main one.
First, how could the Black Eyed Peas ever thought this was a good idea of a song to make. This is the same group that wrote, "Where is the love". Singing about getting stupid for shits and giggles and equating it to being like a person with a mental handicap is TERRIBLE. That's not spreading love, that's spreading ignorance; ignorance leads to dumb/blind hate. And I assure you, that the people the song is referring too do not think having the handicap they do is fun and I assure you they don't get shits and giggles from it. And neither do their family and friends.
Second, the music a DJ plays, though it may not be his personal choice/iTunes he's blasting, it's still music he/she has to go out and acquire themselves even if it's not for personal enjoyment. This means he could have easily just gotten the "Let's get it Started" version, but he didn't, which is poor taste and un-classy. I mean seriously, even if it is a DJing job at some dirty club, have SOME decency.
Third, a lot of the people in the club were un-phased by the song and were even singing it including the word. It just felt like people were basking in their own ignorance to what they were singing and what they were suggesting in lyrics leaving their mouths. Just like the Black Eyed Peas themselves, when you sing that song, you too are equating everything be sung to the same thing the Black Eyed Peas were when they wrote/recorded it. And as humans, I'd like to think we're better than that.
I myself am not completely against the word. Let me explain. I believe the word retard and it's various tenses should be allowed in common vernacular, but ONLY when used in the proper connotation it was intended. For example I saw the word just the other day in my Physics text book, but I was un-phased by it because the author was using it properly. Unfortunately we've made it into an atrocious SLUR to describe a person, ANOTHER HUMAN BEING, with a mental handicap they can't control having and I'm sure they didn't ask for or to describe a person acting in a manner you don't approve and equating it to that handicapped person. That's when using this word becomes UNACCEPTABLE, at least from my perspective. How could you ever say that about a person.
People with disabilities of the mind are still humans who deserve love. And you know what they are still just like the rest of us. They have feelings, they have likes and dislikes, they hobbies, and when you cut them, they bleed red TOO! To outcast them or classify them or assume the worst for/about them because of their disability is to dehumanize them. And when you use that word in relation to them at any capacity, even if you don't intend to offend, YOU STILL DO! But not only do you offend them, you offend their families, friends, and the many of us who believe in the idea we as humans are equal require of race, orientation, religion, or even mental capacity. When you use that word in that connotation, you're insinuating a lesser opinion, which is similar to that of Hitler. This analogy is a bit severe but it's still comparable.
Certainly you can make the argument of Freedom of speech provided by the First Amendment, but this is one of those give an inch take a mile scenarios. Just because you have freedom or ability to do something, doesn't mean you need to take advantage and be a dick. So just find another word, it's not that hard of a task, and there are countless ones out there. And for those of us against this connotation of word, lets better ourselves at correcting others respectfully when they use it. I know people who do, including some closer friends, and I'm sure you do to, so lets just work together at holding others and ourselves responsible as we work to make the world a better place for all.
No comments:
Post a Comment